BYOD or “bring your own device” is a growing controversial trend in the corporate world, and we’ve got the pros and cons of BYOD laid out for you.
Users no longer rely on employers to supply them with a work BlackBerry, and the demand to use personal iPhones and Androids for work purposes has increased. Employees generally prefer to use devices they are comfortable with and would rather not juggle multiple phones or tablets. However, there are some serious concerns about this concept of BYOD. If you are undecided on where you stand with this idea, here are some potential pros and cons.
Pros of BYOD
- B YOD allows employees to choose the brand/type of device they use (employees are generally happier with their preferred item.)
- Employees select a personalized plan in line with what they need and assure they are not paying for features they don’t use.
- In the case of a lost device, it is not the employer’s responsibility to cover the cost of a replacement device.
- Employees can stick to one device and don’t have to keep track of multiple devices.
- Employees are often more motivated to update their devices, which means tech is upgraded at a quicker rate than if the company was responsible.
Cons of BYOD
- Security of company data is a concern when employees use personal devices.
- Telling employees what they can and cannot do on personal devices can be tricky.
- Businesses required to comply with mandates such as HIPAA must ensure those rules are still followed on devices owned by employees.
- When an employee leaves the company, separating company files and data from their devices can be difficult.
- If a device is lost, employers may want to wipe the device to protect company data, but this could delete the employee’s data as well.
BYOD policy can be convenient and cost-effective, but some downsides need to be considered. Balancing the security of company information and the privacy of employees can be tough if personal devices are used. Be sure to check back next week to learn some ways to implement a BYOD policy at your office!