In recent years there has been a tremendous increase in home-based workers, among the self-employed as well as telecommuting employees who work for traditional businesses. And now, with CoVid-19, many more employees are finding themselves working from home.
Whether you work for yourself or an established employer, you are likely to face obstacles in adapting to working in a home-based environment. Here are a few tips that might help you to work more effectively from home:
- Setting up a functional workspace is critical to your success. Try setting up your space so that it contains all of the necessary equipment that you need. You may decorate your workspace so that it is aesthetically appealing but try to keep distractions to a minimum.
- Establishing a working schedule is also important. Having regularly scheduled hours when you work will help you to be more efficient during these times. Be sure to schedule work time as well as break times so that you will not become overwhelmed. One of the pitfalls that some home workers fall into is working too many hours. In an office there is a clear end of the day as other employees start to leave the office for the day, but at home employees sometimes have difficulty ending their day.
- Being able to motivate yourself is critical for the work at home employee. In an office situation, you have a supervisor and co-workers who motivate you to complete your work but when you are working at home, you only have yourself to push you to succeed.
- Maintaining a professional attitude is also important. If you have frequent client interactions, be careful to answer the phone or respond to their emails in a professional way. A home office may be an informal environment that affords you the luxury of dressing casually but client interactions should always follow certain decorum. Keeping your interactions businesslike will ensure that the client does not begin to doubt the amount or quality of work that is being put into their projects.
- Consider hiring a daycare provider is another tip for working from home. Those who have young children may find it difficult to attend to the needs of their children while fulfilling their job obligations. For this reason, it may be worthwhile to have a daycare provider care for your child during your working hours. This really isn’t feasible with our current Coronavirus pandemic, but a good tip in “normal” circumstances!
- Avoid volunteering for too many activities. Many people will assume that because you work at home you are free to help them run errands, pick up their children from school or be an emergency babysitter if their child has a cold. While you may want to help your friends and family members, it’s important to make it clear that your work is just as important as theirs and that you have obligations to take care of each day.
The important thing to remember is that your home-based job deserves the same attention and dedication as an office position. Following these tips will help you to become a lucrative and productive home-based worker.
If your business needs help setting up your employees to work safely and securely, we can help. If you are already working from home but it’s not going too well, we can help with that, too! Give us a shout at sales(at)networksunlimited.com.